This course will cover:
- Natural gas thermodynamics and transport properties
- Gas transportation
- LPG distribution
- Gas conditioning, liquefaction, NGL extraction.
- Heat integration in gas plants. Structural and operations optimization.
- Offshore drilling and production planning.
- Risk Analysis
The course includes hands on exercises using Pro II, a simulation software package from Simulation Science (Simsci), USA. The license of this software is available for academic purposes at affordable prices. One computer for every 2 (3 at the most) students will be needed day 2, 3, 4 and 5.
Course Duration: Five days
Day 1: Gas chemistry, thermodynamic and transport properties. Water hydrocarbon systems. Hydrates.
Day 2: Natural gas processing. Dehydration. Sweetening. Sulfur Claus Process. Simulation of TEG, amine and Claus processes.
Day 3: Transportation. Pipelines and pipeline simulation. Hydrate inhibition. Leak detection techniques.
Day 4: Refrigeration, liquefaction and NGL extraction. NGL fractionation. Energy Integration.
Day 5: Optimization of NGL extraction plants. Planning of Offshore/Onshore drilling and production. Planning under uncertainty. Management of financial risk. Final Exam.
A training manual as well as simulation and optimization files will be provided.
The course will use the following references (some of which will be provided):
- Natural Gas, Rojey A., C. Jaffret. S. Cornot-Gandolphe, B. Duran, S. Jullian and M. Valais.. Technip, Paris (1997).
- R. Smith, Process Design.
- Journal articles